Several serious incidents of road rage has occurred in the news recently that has resulted in serious injuries and death to one or both of the drivers involved. Below are some startling numbers as to current trends on the road.66% of traffic fatalities are caused by aggressive driving.37% of aggressive driving incidents involve a firearm.Males under the age of 19 are the most likely to exhibit road rage.Half of drivers who are on the receiving end of an aggressive behavior, such as horn honking, a rude gesture, or tailgating admit to responding with aggressive behavior themselves.Over a seven year period, 218 murders and 12,610 injuries were attributed to road rage.The video clip below represents how road rage can easily escalate to extremely dangerous levels rapidly. This incident occurred in Santa Clarita, California. Following an altercation that occurred for a few miles, the motorcycle driver, further provokes the situation by kicking the quarter panel of the other party's vehicle. The counter to this kick resulted in several injuries and thousands of dollars in property damage. Whatever occurred prior to this incident unfolding clearly didn't warrant putting the lives of innocent motorists in harms way.
Actions to de-escalate a potential road rage incident:
- If you're being tailgated, move over to the other lane.
- Use apologetic gestures like a friendly wave to calm things.
- Never use your horn to project outrage or anger.
- Avoid eye contact with angry drivers and give distance between yourself and the other driver.
- Never, ever, under any circumstance should you leave your vehicle to confront an angry driver.
NO MATTER WHAT OCCURED, ITS SIMPLY NOT WORTH THE RISK OF INJURY OR DEATH.
The Virginia Driver Improvement Academy